Race: The Power of an Illusion (Video - 2003)
This
video suggests that race is something that has manifested itself in our minds
and that challenges my own knowledge because I have grown up seeing “race” all
around me. After watching this video a line that really resonated with me went
something like “race isn’t how you look, it’s how you assign meaning to how you
look.” This really made me rethink a lot of what I know about race as a whole.
Supposedly we have four major racial categories that are assigned as colors
(white, black, red, and yellow). What that really means is open to debate. This
line suggests, as does the American constitution, that all men are created
equal BUT whether or not we are all treated equal remains to be seen. Examples
explained in this video were the Native Americans getting displaced from their
land and the African American people being treated as slaves. Because others didn’t
look the same as the settlers, the settler’s assigned meaning to how they
looked and treated them according to their preconceived notions, thus creating
racism. If someone, back when America was settled had treated them just as any
other “white” settler, things would of course be a lot different and the way
that we think about race today would be drastically different.
This
idea that race is a created concept is definitely a challenge for me to
comprehend because race has been engrained in my brain for such a long time.
Throughout my educational career we have learned how different races and
different culture do things differently – not that these differences are bad per
say – but I have definitely been taught that they exist. I have also seen
throughout our schooling, be it through teachers or otherwise (media), that
there is usually a prominent race in our correctional system or a breakdown of
the races (or in some cases, ethnicity) that make up the city that we live
in. There are always certain groups fighting for rights and these groups can be
primarily guided by their race. I think that the statement has resonated with
me because it gives me a new perspective on the notion of race. It challenges
my opinion because I have never thought about it in that sense – the sense that
race is just an assigned meaning. I don’t purposefully assign meaning to race
but it probably happens subconsciously. These assignments are not negative but
they are not positive either – assuming anything based on race whether it is on
purpose or not is not okay. If, by accident, as a teacher you pass these
thoughts on to your students – you are creating a cycle of race as a
contributing factor for people’s traits or worth.
I
think that this video made me think harder about what I am passing onto students in my classroom. It is almost impossible to think that I can be “blind” to race but I
can make a conscience effort to not perpetuate any stereotypes of others. I also don't think that I should be striving to be blind to race because that can sometimes turn into blind to culture. I don’t
think that I do this in my day to day life but I will think about if I am. This
video really made me feel confused about what I thought I knew about race. I
feel that I need to learn more about the history of race, where it came from and
why it came to be. It is a really interesting concept to me because I have
never thought of race in that great of detail – or thought about why race is a
socially constructed concept. I would like to build my background knowledge of
this subject in order to better inform my students as to why concepts are the
way they are.
"We Must Farm to Enable Us to Live": The Plains Cree and Agriculture to 1900 (Sarah Carter - 1986)
This
reading invites me to rethink what I know about the treaties because it
explained another aspect of them that I was not aware of. I knew that
aboriginal people were shorted what they were promised in the treaties but I
was not aware of the extent in regards to them pursuing agriculture. This
article introduced me to one of the many examples of structural determinism,
the language that people were using about aboriginal people shaped policies
made by the government which in turn lead them to failure, which eventually reinforced
the stereotypes that people had about them. The agricultural policies that the
aboriginal people were subject to causes a vicious cycle – making it near
impossible for the aboriginals to be successful farmers. This article discusses
some of the policies that the government put in place for the aboriginal
farmers – such as the home farm experiment and the peasant farming policy.
Policies like this inadvertently caused farming to be extremely difficult for aboriginal
people, eventually leading many of them to quit because they were not given the proper
resources.
These
key points from the article guide the observations that I have made throughout
my experiences with agriculture in Saskatchewan. I know that I have not met or seen many aboriginal
farmers so this supports what the article was saying. I think that this guides
what I think about incorporating aboriginal content into my classroom.
I have always thought that there should be more aboriginal content incorporated
into all grades because this is where I believe my education lacked. With this
new information about the challenges that aboriginal people faced, it gives
ideas for incorporating it into a lesson. These points also challenge what I
previously thought about the challenges of aboriginal people, in education and
otherwise. I knew that the aboriginal people faced challenges because of the
treaties but I didn’t know many specifics. This gave me insight into why some
aboriginal people live the way they do, for example in poverty. I now know because of
government policy and lack of resources it was nearly impossible for aboriginal
people to succeed at farming – and that this caused major implications that we
can still see today for their descendants. Due to the lack of resources of
their ancestors, some aboriginal people today still face issues with rights to their
land, self-governance, education, and the justice system. Some of the discourse
that went on back in the 1900’s and before is still enforced today because the
cycle has not been broken yet.
I
think that this article has definitely expanded what I know and given me more
information to pass onto my students. Because of my experiences and opinions I
would like my student to be given all the facts before they start to form their opinions
– I want my students to have informed opinions as opposed to just continuing
the cycle of the discourse “informing” their thoughts. Growing up I never had
this information and I think if I had it my opinions may have formed
differently. I have been given a whole other area of knowledge to look into
when I am thinking of incorporating aboriginal perspectives and knowledge. For
example, when the topic of government comes up we could look at aboriginal self-governance
and what could have been different if they were able to do so back in the 1900’s.
After reading this article I have different feelings about the extent to which
the aboriginal people were deprived of resources and it makes me sad. I feel I
need to learn more about other areas where they were deprived of resources and
the consequences that they still face today as a result.
On Orientalism (David Said Video - 1998)
This
reading suggests that society depicts the Middle East (and along with that, Arab
people) in a negative way and this
supports my own knowledge because I see this depiction in the media on a
regular basis. As the video points out, the media is one of the major contributors
to these negative images. There are different forms of media that depict
these negative images in different ways – the news and movies were examples
that were discussed. Said says that Orientalism is a way a seeing that
emphasizes and exaggerates the differences of Arab people and cultures compared
to the western world.
I
definitely think that the points in this video guide what I already know about
media depiction of the Arab world and it also extends it. These images are what
children are being exposed to and now that I know a deeper meaning of what
they represent. One of the examples from the video really hit home for me
because I had never thought about it in the way that it was described – it was
just entertainment value and that is the example of the movie Aladdin. This
children’s cartoon was my favorite growing up but now that I think of the
background as distorting the image of the Middle East, it is a whole new movie
to me. As a citizen of the western world I saw this movie as entertainment,
depicting a far off magical place that was very different from where I am from.
As they said, this depiction is not correct and it gives everyone a false
perception of the Middle East – I myself was probably guilty of this as a
child. Looking at media images now I realize that they do have a common theme
and they show a false image of the Arab world. Through news outlets I
constantly see protests and conflicts in the Middle East where the only images
are people being angry and pumping their fists in the air – which is of course
not how all Arab cultures handle their conflicts and problems. This is socially
inaccurate, this is not how all Arab people are but the media generalizes so
that the news story is more flashy.
This
video’s information will definitely influence my teaching practice and I will make
sure that I inform the students of all the facts – not just what the media is
showing them. I will teach to look for the deeper meaning and the truth within
all the media images. Again, like the other articles this video just ingrains
in my mind how important it is to think critically when viewing or reading
anything. Another example in this video that goes along with this critical
thinking component is the Oklahoma City bombing. The media just jumped to the conclusion
that of course this was an Arab terrorist – when in reality there was no
evidence of this. This is a good lesson to teach in not jumping to conclusions
without all the facts. This video made me feel bad – I mean, if someone was
using a false image of my culture and area of the world as entertainment I
would be offended. We shouldn’t take someone’s culture or area of the world and
distort it for entertainment value. I think there is still more to be learned
from this video and it has inspired me to learn more about the topic. I am
trying to get my hands on the book “Covering Islam” by Edward Said so that I
can find out more about his thoughts on depictions of the Arab world and
Orientalism.



No comments:
Post a Comment